Wednesday, May 23, 2018

HDIL, its subsidiary company booked in Rs 131-crore cheating case

Representative image  
Representative image


| TNN | Updated: May 23, 2018, 04:51 IST


MUMBAI: The city economic offences wing (EOW) has registered a case against city developer HDIL, its subsidiary firm, Guruashish Construction and its directors, Sarang and Rakesh Wadhwan, for allegedly cheating over 465 flat buyers of Rs 131 crore.  


The builder promised to hand over the flats in a project called The Meadows in Patra Chawl, Goregaon, in 2015. However, the flat buyers neither got the possession of their flats nor their money back.


Andheri resident Amar Anvekar first lodged a complaint with the Goregaon police on May 18. After registering the complaint, the probe was transferred to the EOW. The accused have been booked for cheating and criminal conspiracy under the IPC and sections of the Maharashtra Ownership Flats Act have also been invoked against them. No arrests have been made so far.

A police officer said the complainant was told by the developer the price of his 2BHK flat was Rs 81 lakh. He made initial payment of Rs 2 lakh and booked the flat in 2010, and was promised possession by 2015. By then, he had paid nearly Rs 25.7 lakh to the accused. “Anvekar told us that during that time, the developers asked him to deposit his receipts of payment and allotment letter to them. He was given fresh receipts of payment and allotment letter. This time, the new documents were shown as issued by Guruashish Construction and not HDIL. Moreover, the location of his flat was also changed from seventh floor to eighth floor and the accused claimed they had to do it due to the changes in the development control rules.”

HDIL, in its statement, said its subsidiary Guruashish Construction is presently under the process of insolvency before the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT). “A resolution professional has been appointed and committee of creditor has been directing the affairs of the company. A resolution plan is under progress and shall be soon submitted to the NCLT for its approval, and once confirmed the project work of ‘The Meadows’ shall resume,” it said. The statement added that the Bombay high court was appraised about the proceedings before the NCLT. “We would like to further clarify that the directors of the company are not served any notices or FIR by any authority,” said the statment by HDIL.

The Times of India, May 23, 2018

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Police seek help to collect baby’s DNA in teen rape case


| TNN | May 22, 2018, 06:03 IST


Representative image  
Representative image 
 
 
MUMBAI: Marine Drive police have sought expert opinion on collecting and preserving DNA samples of a newly-born girl whose mother is a rape survivor. The suspected biological 20-yearold father is on the run.

A 37-year-old beauty parlour owner had approached police on Saturday alleging that the youth had raped his 17-year-old daughter at Marine Drive. The girl had delivered a baby girl on May 16. The case was transferred to Marine Drive police station. 
 
 The accused has been booked for rape and under sections of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.

The DNA test can help make a watertight case, police said, as it is admissible evidence in court.

The Bombay HC had released a rape accused on bail after the DNA of the child born to the survivor did not match that of his in March. The Bhiwandi youth was arrested for allegedly raping his 16-year-old neighbour and spent two years in jail. The rape victim had delivered a baby. Justice Revati Dere had ordered that the accused be released on a personal bond of Rs15,000.

The Times of India, May 22, 2018

Monday, May 21, 2018

Man in Pocso net as 17-year-old rape survivor delivers baby

| TNN | May 21, 2018, 04:03 IST


Representative image  
Representative image 
 
 
MUMBAI: The mother of a 17-year-old girl filed a rape case against a 20-year-old youth for raping her daughter, which resulted in she getting pregnant.
The case was registered after the survivor delivered a girl on Wednesday. Marine Drive police have invoked sections of Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences (Pocso) Act against the accused.

The 37-year-old beauty parlour owner approached a police station near Bandra and narrated her daughter’s ordeal. She told them her daughter had delivered a baby on May 16. She claimed her daughter was taken to the tetrapods at Marine Drive and raped by the accused last September. The survivor has given police the youth’s first name description and details.

A police officer said she had been to Bandra and Santacruz with him. “But they mentioned Marine Drive as the crime scene so police registered a case and transferred it to Marine Drive police,” said an officer.
Marine Drive police are going through call data records of the accused and others connected to him. “We will soon track him down,” added a senior police officer, adding, “The survivor and accused were in love and would go to Vile Parle and Santacruz frequently.


The girl had been telling her family that she was suffering from stomach pain but they ignored it and later learnt she was pregnant,” added the officer. The youth has been booked under section 376 (rape) of IPC and sections 4 (punishment for penetrative sexual assault), 8 (punishment for sexual assault) and 12 (sexual harassment) of Pocso Act. The punishment under section 4 of Pocso is not less than 7 years which may extend to life imprisonment.

The Times of India, May 21, 2018

Body still in morgue; police say their security had controlled situation in ward in 5 minutes

| tnn | Updated: May 21, 2018, 00:35 IST

The body of 45-year-old Zaida Shah, a suspected cancer patient, was lying in JJ Hospital morgue till Sunday night, since no one has come to claim the body. Shah’s children Sony (23), Rehan (22) and Shamila (20) and her son-in-law Altaaf Shaikh (32), who had allegedly assaulted two doctors, were sent to jail custody till May 31. “Most family members are now behind bars,” said a source. The attack, which occurred around 7am on Saturday, began after Shah died. The assault and ransacking of ward number 11 were captured on the CCTV camera. The police claimed that their security reached ward number 11 within five minutes and controlled the situation. Zonal DCP Manoj Kumar Sharma said, “The police response was very quick. Two Maharashtra security personnel and a JJ Marg policeman reached the ward within five minutes of the incident. They didn’t give the relatives a chance to flee.” All state-run hospitals have been provided police protection for the last 2 years. —Mateen Hafeez
 
The Times of India, May 21, 2018 

Saturday, May 19, 2018

Friday, May 18, 2018

Labourer bludgeons supervisor to death, steals card, withdraws Rs 65,000

| TNN | Updated: May 18, 2018, 02:50 IST

 

Representative Image 
Representative Image
 
 
MUMBAI: A labourer was arrested on Thursday for allegedly murdering the site supervisor at a construction site in Bandra-Kurla Complex and fleeing with his debit card and mobile phone. Within half an hour of the murder on May 4, the accused, Shadab alias Rahul (33), withdrew Rs 30,000 from the victim’s bank account in three transactions from an ATM kiosk in BKC, said the police. He later withdrew Rs 35,000 in two transactions—one in Nashik and the other in Jabalpur in Madhya Pradesh—taking the total to Rs 65,000.

“Manoj Singh (24), who was in charge of over 250 labourers, had a separate room at the construction site,” said an officer from BKC police station. “On May 4, around 1pm, Singh was having lunch alone in his room. A few hours later, some labourers came to talk to him, but found the room locked. They alerted other supervisors at the site, who informed the police.” When the police broke open the door, they found Singh lying on the floor bleeding from the head and a 3-ft iron rod next to him. He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced ‘brought dead’. “He was hit at least six times of the head with the iron rod,” said the officer.

Zonal DCP Anil Kumbhare formed a team, led by senior inspector Kalpana Gadekar, comprising officers Sagar Shivalkar, Pradeep Khanvilkar and Bhagwant Garande. “We questioned all labourers and found one labourer, Shadab, missing. During investigation, we found that Singh’s debit card, mobile phone and some other belongings were missing,” said the officer. “When we checked Singh’s debit card records, we found five transactions were made in three days—three in BKC on the day of the murder, one in Nashik and one in Jabalpur.” CCTV footage from the ATM kiosk at BKC showed Shadab withdrawing the money. “We picked him up from his residence in Jharkhand and recovered Singh’s phone and debit card,” said the police officer.

During interrogation, Shadab told the police that last month he had accompanied Singh to an ATM kiosk and had seen the latter’s debit card PIN. “Since then, I was trying to steal his card. I got my chance on May 4, when all labourers went for lunch. I entered Singh’s room, hit him repeatedly with an iron rod, stole his card and phone and fled,” Shadab reportedly told the BKC police.

 The Times of India, May 18, 2018

Thursday, May 17, 2018

Chargesheet against 3 in 320 crore land scam

| TNN | Updated: May 17, 2018, 12:37 IST





Representative image 
Representative image
 
 
 
MUMBAI: The economic offences wing (EOW) of Mumbai police has filed a 22,000-page chargesheet against three persons accused in the 320 crore Temple Rose real estate investment scam. 

1


The accused had floated various schemes under the banner of Temple Rose Real Estate Pvt Ltd (TRREPL) in four states, including Maharashtra, and duped over 7,200 investors, who were promised a doubling of investment in three years and a commission for bringing in others.

The victims include over two dozen army persons and a Mumbai surgeon who poured into the firm 5 crore. In Maharashtra, the maximum number of investors were from Thane, Pune, Satara and Solapur.

The scam came to light after an agent who brought investors to TRREPL, Abhay Shah, 70, approached the police in 2016-end. He had invested 38 lakh in 2013, but didn't get the promised returns, or even the principal. Last year, the police arrested TRREPL's promoter, Devidas Sajnani, and two of his associates: Keshav Iddya and Marx Thorat. Sajnani's wife Vanita and daughter Deepa, both directors in his firm, are wanted. 
 
The women had filed for anticipatory bail, but their pleas were rejected by the sessions court, a decision upheld by the Bombay high court. "The initial scam amount mentioned in the FIR was Rs 90 crore. But during our probe, we found it was much more: 320 crore," said an EOW officer.

The three arrested accused are in Yerawada Jail, Pune. Sajnani used to live in Mahim, from where he shifted to a rented apartment in Bandra.

"Both flats are now locked," said an officer. "During a forensic audit, we found that 7,200 investors had been duped in various TRREPL schemes. We identified 79 bank accounts of the accused and froze them. They contain just Rs 17 lakh," the officer said. "We have attached 1,130 acres of land in Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Telangana."

The firm had assured investors that their money would double and gave them property papers as a form of surety. The Mumbai surgeon, who took a bank loan to invest in the firm's 'income growth plan' schemes, though losing the maximum amount, managed to get a plot allotted to him after approaching the firm with a copy of a complaint he registered with the police in 2016. The directors panicked and gave him 50 acres in Pune.

 
The Times of India, May 17, 2018