Friday, February 28, 2014

3 years on, lifer who jumped parole found with new name


Mumbai:  A murder convict, serving life term in a Nashik jail, jumped parole and went into hiding. His Kalbadevi-based family said he was HIV positive and had died. This excuse could not satisfy the Mumbai police, who finally traced the accused to aSatara jail where he was an undertrial with a new identity.
    The Azad Maidan police on Wednesday took the custody of Chandar Naikar (39) and are interrogating him. Naikar is involved in eight criminal cases, including theft, robbery, assault and murder. Sub-inspector Sharad Kumbhar from the Azad Maidan police said, “Naikar was sentenced to life term in 2009 for a 2008 murder. He was detected as HIV positive. After conviction, he was sent to the Nashik central jail. In December 2010, he was released for 14 days on parole. But he did not get back to jail. Jail officials registered a case of escaping from custody with the Azad Maidan police.” 

    “We visited his family but could not get information about him. Last year, his mother said he was suffering from HIV and died subsequently. When we asked them to furnish the death certificate, the family said they would get it and come to the police station,” added Kumbhar.
    A police team visited his hometown in Karnataka in October. But they returned emptyhanded. In January, cops learned that an aide of Naikar, Manik Kasbe, was arrested by the Karad police in a robbery case. Inspectors Haridas Kumbhar and Sharad Kumbhar left for Satara prison and found that Kasbe was arrested in the case with seven others. When cops checked the file of the arrested men, they found a photo of Naikar. But the jail authorities said the man’s name was Ganesh Kaundar. “Naikar had changed his identity and destroyed all evidence of him being alive. But he couldn’t hide two scars on his face,” said senior inspector Narendera Singh. Kaundar later admitted he was Naikar. Mateen Hafeez 

The Times of India, February 28, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment