Monday, February 10, 2014

Bhatkal and aides planned RDX blasts in wake of 13/7

Mateen Hafeez TNN


Mumbai: The interrogation of 13/7 suspects Yasin Bhatkal and Asadullah Akhtar alias Tabrez has revealed that after killing 27 in the triple blasts, the accused went on to procure 4 kg of explosives containing RDX for more terror strikes. 

    The suspects abandoned their plan to cause more explosions after the arrest of more than a dozen Indian Mujahideen members by the Delhi police.  It was reported on May 2, 2012, that RDX was present in the Habib Manzil flat in Byculla where the bombers had stayed before and after the July 13, 2011, blasts at Dadar, Opera House and Zaveri Bazar. 

    When the police got to the flat, the RDX traces there had confounded them as none of the three blasts had been the caused by that particular explosive substance.  Now, the revelation from the interrogation of Bhatkal and Tabrez has explained how the RDX traces were found at the hideout.

 
    Additional director general of police (ATS) Rakesh Maria said a second consignment of about 4 kg containing ammonium nitrate and RDX was procured by the suspects. “We had found traces of some suspicious powder-like substance in Habib Manzil during a search and forensic analyzers stated it was RDX,” the officer said on Sunday.
 
    The missing RDX is yet to be found. The first consignment of explosives, 4 to 5 kg in weight, was delivered to the bombers a few days before July 13, 2011, and was used in assembling the improvised explosive devices used in the blasts.
 
    Police sources said Bhatkal had arranged for the flat in Habib Manzil for the two other terrorists, Tabrez and the still-wanted Waqqas, for a monthly rent of Rs 10,000.  “We have discovered the identity of the carrier who delivered the two consignments in Karnataka,” an ATS official said. 

    After the blasts, a chemical analysis showed the bombs were a cocktail of TNT, ammonium nitrate and petroleum hydrocarbons. The report said TNT was the main explosive and RDX was not used in the bombs. 
 

Bombers left for eatery to watch TV  

Police sources say 13/7 bombers Yasin Bhatkal, Asadullah Akhtar alias Tabrez and Waqqas did not have a TV set at their rented flat. The sources say that after planting the bombs the accused first went to the flat and then to a nearby restaurant to watch the news of the serial blasts on TV. They say an hour before the blasts, Bhatkal went to a cybercafe and contacted his mentor and IM founder Riyaz Bhatkal over the internet and informed him the work had “got done”. The sources say that Riyaz congratulated Yasin, promising more money for further operations. At night, Yasin Bhatkal left the city. TNN 
 
 
The Times of India, February 10, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment