Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Cops to match Zinta statement with witnesses'

Mateen Hafeez & Swati Deshpande


Actor Preity Zinta, during her two-hour statement to the police on Tuesday, reiterated the charges that her former boyfriend for eight years, industrialist Ness Wadia, had abused her at an IPL match on May 30. 
Zinta had alleged in her June 13 FIR that Wadia, co-owner with her of IPL franchise Kings XI Punjab, had humiliated, abused and threatened her during the match. Though Zinta wanted to give her statement at her residence on Tuesday, cops insisted that she come down to Wankhede stadium for site inspection and clarification.

The media was in full strength both outside Zinta’s residence as well as Wankhede stadium where she arrived around 6.30pm and met personnel from Marine Drive police station.“She had given a statement earlier, but we wanted clarifications. We asked her to come down to the stadium so that
it would be easier for her to explain and for the cops to understand the circumstances,“ said a senior IPS officer.
Zinta had alleged that Wadia abused her during the match, which they were watching from the seats allocated to them as team owners.
The thrust of her allegations was that Ness shouted abuses at her, which demeaned and insulted her as a woman, and attacked her character publicly despite several reminders she had given him earlier to check his language.

Zinta showed the police team the seats occupied by her and her friends during the match. Police recorded her statement, sought clarifications and did a spot panchnama. Her statement was recorded at one of the offices in the club complex at Wankhede.

“She told us that 35 AC seats and 50 general seats had been reserved for her in the pavilion. She narrated what exactly happened that day. We had some queries and Zinta replied to them. Now, we have the entire statement,” the IPS officer added.

Actor Preity Zinta on Tuesday recorded her statement with Marine Drive police at Wankhede Stadium against her former boyfriend, industrialist Ness Wadia.Her lawyer Hitesh Jain reached the stadium a little before she arrived and left with her around 8.30pm. Cops said she recounted the allegations mentioned in the FIR. The actor had come with her brother.
 “We have Danish Merchant as a direct witness. Now, we will corroborate Zinta's statement with those of the witnesses,“ said an officer. When asked whether the police would now summon the accused, Wadia, the officer added, “We will examine the statements and see the evidence. Later, we will decide the future course of action.“ Police had earlier re corded statements of eight witnesses in the case.

Sources close to the IPL said on that day , Ness was upset on arriving after 8.30pm to find his mother and he had no seat as the reserved seats were all occupied. That's when he allegedly shouted at the staff, which Zinta refers to in the FIR without explaining the reason.

Zinta has also alleged that Ness had behaved badly with her in the past as well.
Zinta is believed to have identified one Jean, an Australian cricketer's relative, as a witness to investigators. While Merchant was seated on the fifth seat, Zinta was on the fourth. Jean, an Australian national, reportedly asked Wadia to stop when he was allegedly abusing her. Zinta has named 14 more witnesses like the staff and friends of Wadia and hers.
Jean is currently in the US but the police are likely to call him.

The Times of India, June 25, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment