Saturday, April 11, 2015

Speeding car thief hits two women, 1 dies

Trapped By Police, Man Was Trying To Flee In Stolen SUV

Mumbai: A 35-year-old interstate car thief, trying to escape a police trap, rammed his stolen SUV into two women returning from office in Navi Mumbai on Wednesday. While the thief was caught within minutes, one of the women, who was dragged under the SUV's tyre, succumbed to her injuries a day later.

The deceased, Sushma Shrivastava (23), and her colleague Urvi Gala (22), who work in a firm that manufactures and supplies automobile wipers, arms and blades, were returning from their office on Wednesday when they were caught in the bizarre incident at Mhape, Navi Mumbai.

Sources said Mumbai police's anti-motor vehicle theft team had received information that a vehicle thief, Yaseen Shaikh, was coming to Mumbai to sell a Tavera stolen from Valsad. A policeman, posing as a potential buyer, approached Shaikh through an agent. A squad led by inspector Jagdish Sail, assistant inspector Shivaji Shivthare, specialized cops Anwar Memon, Babu Raut and Gyaneshwar Sonawane reached the spot early while Shaikh arrived at 5.15pm. While Shaikh was in the driver's seat, the `buyer' sat in the rear seat and kept him busy in bargaining, finalizing the deal for Rs 80,000 for the 2014 model car. The waiting police team approached the Tavera and was about to nab Shaikh when he realized he was trapped and instantly sped away in the SUV.

A few feet away , the two women were chatting at a corner of the road when a panicked Shaikh knocked them down. While the SUV flung Gala into the air, Shrivastava fell on the road and the vehicle dragged her for a few feet. By the time the policeman inside the car could understand what was happening, Shaikh had left team of cops behind. The policeman tried to stop the vehicle by holding on to Shaikh, however, as the vehicle reached a dead-end near a service road, Shaikh jumped out and fled into the forest. The policeman pursued him and was joined by the other cops, who finally caught Shaikh after a 15-minute chase. By then, the MIDC Rabale police, which was informed over the wireless, arrived and took Shaikh into custody .

Shrivastava was admitted to Mumbai's JJ Hospital in a critical condition where she succumbed to her injuries on Thursday . “We have booked Shaikh for culpable homicide amounting not to murder. He has been sent to police custody for two days,“ said R B Deshmukh, senior inspector of MIDC police station. The car has been seized. “Shaikh hails from Pratapgarh, UP and is part of an-inter state car theft racket. We are questioning him,“ said assistant inspector Rahul Khatal.

The Times of India, April 11, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment