Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Yr after minor's rape, police yet to begin probe


Girl Died In Nov, Departmental Inquiry Ordered Into Cops' Delay


Mumbai: Nearly a year after a gangrape outside Churchgate station and over four months after the victim's death, police are yet to begin investigations. A 15year-old mentally unsound girl was allegedly gang-raped outside Churchgate station last April. The Churchgate GRP registered the case and sent it to the Marine Drive police, who sat on the file for eight months and returned it to the railway cops claiming it wasn't in their jurisdiction. Meanwhile, the girl died in hospital.
Police recently registered the case after a rap from senior officials, but are yet to begin a probe. Krishna Prakash, additional commissioner of police (south region), has recommended a departmental inquiry against some Marine Drive police personnel for the delay in registering the case. Any official found guilty in the report could be suspended.

According to the Churchgate GRP's FIR, a mentally unsound girl was gang-raped by four unidentified persons on the night of April 29, 2014, near the station's subway after being forced to drink beer. An NGO took the girl to the railway police who registered the case and sent the case papers to the Marine Drive police, in whose jurisdiction the crime was committed. The Marine Drive police did a spot panchnama and twice recorded the victim's statements.However, they did not register the case. The girl, a resident of Hanuman Nagar, Kandivli, died on November 17 in Nair Hospital, where she was being treated for asthma. But police still neither register the case, nor initiate an investigation.

In January 2015, police sent the file back to the Churchgate GRP , saying it was not their case. The papers were passed around two more times when finally railway DCP Deepak Dev raj wrote to the railway commissioner and Mumbai police chief, Rakesh Maria. Maria immediately ordered an inquiry and the then joint commissioner of police (law and order), D D Kamalakar, asked the police station to file a report on the case to senior officials. On January 3, 2015, the Azad Maidan ACP was asked to probe the matter and he suggested a departmental inquiry against the officer. Prakash, in his report, said the case papers were sent to the then senior inspector of Marine Drive police, who sent them back. Later, GRP sent the papers to DCP (zone 1) who sent them back to railway police and asked them to establish the jurisdiction.

The Times of India, April 15, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment