DELEGATION MEETS ATS CHIEF
Mateen Hafeez TNN
Mumbai: State anti-terrorism squad (ATS) chief Rakesh Maria on Friday assured a delegation of Muslim leaders that the police would not treat members of the community unjustly.
The group met Maria to appreciate his efforts in rehabilitating youngsters who crossed the border for terror training but returned with a change of heart. “I am trying to create a better tomorrow. If my department or my men are committing a mistake, let me know so that I can take action,” Maria said. “I also want to dispel the misconception that the Muslim community has about law enforcing agencies.”
Last
month, TOI reported on how a youth went to Pakistan for terror training
but later surrendered to the ATS after he realized that he did not want
to be part of such activities. Following in his footsteps, five others
also approached the agency, seeking its help.
“Whenever, there
is any festival of non-Muslims, terror alerts are sounded in which
Muslims are portrayed as suspects. Photographs are released, sending
wrong message about the community. We want these things to stop,” said M
A Khalid, an activist. Another activist, Farid Batatawala, said they
were happy with the ATS’ work but hoped that the police would not frame
innocent Muslims. “Till I am in this office, you will not find
injustice,” Maria told the team.
The Times of India, May 12, 2012
No comments:
Post a Comment