CLAIM THE ACCUSED WERE NOT AT MURDER SITE
Mateen Hafeez TNN Mumbai: Families of the 10 suspects arrested for setting the deceased Malegaon additional collector, Yeshwant Sonawane, on fire will go on hunger strike from Monday morning at Ambedkar chowk in Manmad.
The families have demanded the release of the suspects claiming that eight of the 11 booked for Sonawane’s murder were not present when the incident took place. However, the police has booked all of them for murder.
“The families of these suspects will be going on hunger strike. We all will sit at Amedkar chowk and not eat or drink anything till we are given an written assurance of an impartial CBI inquiry,” said Sagar, son of deceased accused Popat Shinde. Sonawane was allegedly set on fire by Popat at Panewadi area near Manmad. He died on the spot while Popat, who also suffered burn injuries, died on January 31 at JJ Hospital.
The police had earlier booked the accused under the Essential Commodities Act as well as for murder under the IPC. On February 11, the police invoked the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act against the accused. “We have no faith in the police inquiry Deputy superintendent of Manmad police, Samadhan Pawar’s investigation is biased,” said Sagar.
The Times of India, February 28, 2011